Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Lemon and Dill Dip

June 16, 2015

I hosted a housewarming banquet last time we moved and, upon leaving, my friend told me that these chips were the highlight of the meal. I was bemused, not because they aren’t totally delicious, but because they were a simple side to some other rather elaborate dishes. I took the compliment anyway because, like me, I know he is a big lemon and dill fan… I guess the lesson there is that simple dishes, where the flavours are perfectly paired and the ingredients are in season and at their prime, make the most memorable meals.

Sweet Potatoes (Kumera) are loaded with vitamin A (beta-carotene) and B vitamins, and are great for regulating your hormones. They are a lower GI compared to pumpkin and, in my opinion, are superior in taste and texture to them as well (I find pumpkin to be almost cloyingly sweet at times).

This is my favourite way to enjoy sweet potatoes: roasted in coconut oil, sprinkled with flaky sea salt and served with this creamy cashew dip. The tart lemon and herbaceous dill in the dip counteract the sweetness of the potatoes, and makes for a morish combination. I like cutting these chips in rounds to let them act as little scoops for the dip, but cut them in wedges if you prefer. I hope they are the highlight of a special meal for you too! x

Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Lemon and Dill Dip - Homespun Capers

Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Lemon and Dill Dip - Homespun Capers Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Lemon and Dill Dip - Homespun Capers Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Lemon and Dill Dip - Homespun Capers Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Lemon and Dill Dip - Homespun Capers

Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Lemon and Dill Dip

• Servings: 4-6
  • Time: 60min

Don’t peel the sweet potatoes here – a vegetable’s skin contains a lot of its nutritional value, and the chips need their skin in order to hold their shape when cooked.

Serves  4-6.

Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Lemon and Dill Dip

2 medium | 1.1kg golden sweet potatoes (kumera), scrubbed
4 tbls | 80ml coconut oil, melted to liquid
Sea salt flakes, to taste

Creamy Lemon and Dill Dip

1 cup | 145g raw cashews, soaked for 4+ hours and drained
2/3 cup | 160ml water
2.5 tbls | 50ml lemon juice (1 lemon)
2 tbls | 20g fresh dill, finely chopped
1/4 tsp salt, + more to taste
Black pepper, to taste

For the chips: Set your oven to 200C. Leaving the skin on the sweet potatoes, use a sharp knife to remove any blemishes. Slice the sweet potatoes into rounds about 1cm thick. Lay the chips out in a single layer on two baking trays. Pour over the coconut oil and use a pastry brush to brush the tops of the chips with the oil – you’ll find the oil may set on the potatoes if they are cold but do your best.

Bake them in the oven for 30 minutes, then remove the tray to flip the chips with a spatula, and brush the tops again with the hot oil from the tray (you won’t need to add any more as the tray will have enough). Return to the oven and bake for another 20 min, or until crispy around the edges.

Sprinkle generously with salt and serve. Best eaten immediately.

For the creamy lemon and dill dip:  Blend the cashews, water and lemon juice in a high speed blender till smooth – about 2 minutes. Pour into a bowl and add the dill, salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasoning, if desired.

Leftover dip will keep airtight and refrigerated for up to 5 days. The dip will thicken in the fridge, add a little water to thin out if needed.

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

• Reply Sarah Moore June 22, 2015 at 2:22 pm

I love sweet potatoes so much… and that dip sounds like the perfect accompaniment! x

• Reply Liberty June 22, 2015 at 8:41 pm

Thanks! It’s definitely one of my fave combos – enjoy xx

• Reply Barbara Herbert June 24, 2015 at 1:05 pm

We tried this last night, Liberty, and it was delicious! And so easy. :-) Thanks.

• Reply Liberty June 24, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Oh so glad you liked it Barbara! X

• Reply Natalie October 20, 2015 at 10:53 am

These might technically be a simple side, but I would happily eat the whole plate for dinner! I love sweet potatoes…I mean who doesn’t!?! But that dipping sauce is so unique! Two bright flavors I love, but never would’ve thought to pair with sweet potatoes. Pinning this to try for sure :)

• Reply Liberty October 20, 2015 at 12:43 pm

Thank you! Hope you enjoy it! :)

• Reply 12 Thanksgiving Side Dishes You Haven't Tried ~ The Kitchen Snob November 17, 2015 at 11:01 am

[…] Sweet Potato Chips With Creamy Lemon & Dill Dip […]

• Reply Melissa November 25, 2015 at 5:29 am

Hey there, I found your photos on this website: http://www.ecoagricultor.com/batata-con-salsa-cremosa/
    They took photos from my blog too and posted them on their website, facebook, twitter and google+. You might want to see about reporting the copyright infringement.

• Reply Liberty November 25, 2015 at 6:05 am

Hi Melissa, thanks so much for your comment! I saw these guys as they used a live link back to my site. I don’t mind the use of photos with a link, but don’t like that they’re posted my recipe. But as its translated I wasn’t sure what I could do about it. Did you try contacting them? How do I go about reporting copyright violation?

• Reply Melissa November 25, 2015 at 10:33 pm

I tried emailing them to get two links back to my site: one to my homepage and one to my original recipe, with the links also embedded in the photos in case anyone clicked on them and for SEO purposes, but they didn’t answer. I’m not sure about the recipe translation either, but I am sure about the photos being a copyright violation. They also posted my photos on social media so I commented on facebook that they used my photos without permission and then filled out the copyright violation forms with facebook, twitter and google+. That worked, they removed my photos from their website, but the sketchy translated recipe is still there.

• Reply Last Minute Thanksgiving Recipe Round Up | Peppers and Peaches November 25, 2015 at 11:55 am

[…] -Homespun Capers: Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Lemon & Dill Dip […]

• Reply 30 Gluten Free Game Day Recipes! - Busy Being Jennifer January 15, 2016 at 11:01 pm

[…] Sweet Potato Chips with Creamy Lemon and Dill Dip from Homespun Capers […]

• Reply Sandra January 25, 2016 at 12:59 am

Hi, I would love to try this recipe but was wondering if I need to use coconut oil. I do not use any oil as all oil including coconut oil is high in saturated fat. I provided you a link with the latest in nutrition. Very informative website. http://nutritionfacts.org/video/does-coconut-oil-clog-arteries/

• Reply Liberty January 25, 2016 at 7:30 am

Hi Sandra, thanks for your comment. I am not going to tell you what or what not to eat. I use coconut oil as there is a lot of new studies that show the benefits of coconut oil (and that not all saturated fats are created equal and some are beneficial to ones health). This is, of course, up to you! If you can successfully roast sweet potato without oil, then you could definitely serve it with this dip! Roast the chips however you like, and then make the dip as per the recipe. I hope you enjoy it!

• Reply Syd August 10, 2016 at 3:27 pm

I tried them tonight! I found that soaking the cashews for four/five hours wasn’t long enough, so they weren’t soft enough to blend. Also, the chips were still soft after the 50 mins at 200 degrees, so I changed it to 350 and it worked better!

• Reply Liberty August 10, 2016 at 6:15 pm

Sorry that you were disappointed with the recipe – I’m not sure where you are in the world but the recipe above is in Celsius (I’m Australian), it sounds to me that you were using Fahrenheit? If so – the oven should have been at about 400 Fahrenheit to get them crisp in 50min. The cashews were soft enough for my blender after a 4 hour soak, but it’s a tricky thing as not all blenders are created equal… But just note that the cashews are not soft to touch after soaking, but are able to be blended to smooth with a high speed blender. Hopefully this is helpful if you attempt this recipe again! Thanks for your comment :)