Happy Hormones Hot Chocolate

October 23, 2015

Happy Hormones Hot Chocolate - Homespun Capers

This simple recipe is an easy way to get more maca into your diet, the Peruvian superfood that is great for equalising your hormones. I generally use the term “superfood” lightly, as it’s thrown around pretty liberally these days, but I have personally had success taking powdered maca root, and believe that it to be a beneficial addition to most diets. Maca is an adaptogen, which means it helps your body produce what it is lacking or help it curb anything it has an excess of. It doesn’t contain hormones in itself, it just helps you produce any that you’re deficient of. It’s maca’s hormone balancing properties that is the reason why I’ve given this recipe such a grand and promising name. Balanced hormones makes your mood more consistent and less extreme… And that’s pretty happy making!

I often add a teaspoon of maca powder to my morning smoothie, but this hot chocolate is a great way to introduce it to your warming drinks (especially for those currently in the northern hemisphere!). Maca has a strong taste, but it is quite disguised by the cacao in this hot chocolate. If you are concerned with it tasting too strong, you could always halve the quantity to start with. I’ve also added coconut oil and turmeric to this recipe to give it a hit of immune boosting and anti-inflammatory properties.

With all this goodness, I’d say this is a health drink, rather than a treat… Agreed? The fact that it tastes like a decadent hot chocolate can be our little secret! Xx

Happy Hormones Hot Chocolate - Homespun Capers Happy Hormones Hot Chocolate - Homespun CapersHappy Hormones Hot Chocolate - Homespun Capers

Happy Hormones Hot Chocolate

• Servings: 2
  • Time: 5 min

I use Australian tablespoons (20ml), it shouldnt affect the recipe too much if you are using US, UK or NZ tablespoons (15ml), but you could use 4 teaspoons for every tablespoon called for, if you prefer. You can use whatever milk you like here. Include a pinch of black pepper to help absorption of the turmeric (bio-availability).

Cook time: 5 min
Serves 2.

Happy Hormones Hot Chocolate

500ml | 2 cups almond milk
3 tbls cacao powder
2 tbls coconut sugar (or favourite sweetener, to taste)
2 tsp maca powder
2 tsp coconut oil
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
Pinch of sea salt
Pinch of black pepper (optional)
Pinch of ground ginger (optional)

Warm the almond milk in a small saucepan over high heat. When hot but not yet boiling, remove from heat and whisk in the remaining ingredients. Taste and adjust sweetness if desired. Serve at once.

You Might Also Like

31 Comments

• Reply Angela G. October 23, 2015 at 11:41 pm

Oh yes, yum yum! Goodness in a mug! :) Thanks for sharing this recipe! xx

• Reply Liberty October 24, 2015 at 7:51 am

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it! X

• Reply pinkiebag October 24, 2015 at 6:11 am

Oh yum a perfect autumn comfort drink, thanks for sharing.

• Reply Liberty October 24, 2015 at 7:49 am

Thank you! Definitely Autumn appropriate! X

• Reply ebeccia1 October 30, 2015 at 9:22 am

YUM! This looks fantastic and so nutritionally beneficial!

• Reply Liberty October 30, 2015 at 9:27 am

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it! Maca is awesome :)

• Reply helyndunn October 30, 2015 at 10:01 pm

Gorgeous photos! Thanks for sharing :)

• Reply Liberty October 30, 2015 at 10:29 pm

Thanks so much! X

• Reply Maurine Dashney November 3, 2015 at 9:48 am

This looks delish! And those mugs are darling :)

• Reply Liberty November 3, 2015 at 10:16 am

Thank you! Yes, I love them! They’re porcelain with blue pigment by a local ceramicist (Melbourne, Australia). Love the colour :)

• Reply Jessica November 24, 2015 at 8:08 pm

These mugs are absolutely gorgeous. Do you have the name of the ceramicist?

• Reply Liberty November 24, 2015 at 8:33 pm

Hi Jessica! Yes, they’re by a Melbourne ceramicist duo named Porcelain Bear. They’re from a couple of years ago now though. :)

• Reply Brittany November 19, 2015 at 11:31 am

I love the sound of this happy hormone hot chocolate. Pinned!

• Reply Liberty November 20, 2015 at 7:40 am

Thanks so much! Hope you enjoy it x

• Reply Tez Abbott November 30, 2015 at 11:05 am

This looks like an awesome healthified version of a classic!! Can`t wait to try it!!

• Reply gemsbyjulz December 3, 2015 at 5:49 am

Reblogged this on Gems By Julz Blog and commented:
    This sounds both yummy and healthy. Enjoy.

• Reply Liberty December 3, 2015 at 6:37 am

Thanks so much :)

• Reply Brewsker December 15, 2015 at 8:57 pm

I wrote a post on 10 nutritional tips for December, to help get us through the party and flu season and turmeric, ginger and coco oil are all on there :) I’d love for you to take a look if you get a moment!

• Reply Rachael Adamson-Chilton December 17, 2015 at 5:28 am

Do you know if this is okay for my tween daughter to drink? She’s going through puberty and it’s been especially hard on her – lots of pain and discomfort in the female areas. Just wondering if this might help her cope a little better. But I don’t want to disrupt her body’s natural processes. What do you think?

• Reply Liberty December 17, 2015 at 5:51 am

Hi Rachael, thanks so much for your comment! I think the maca in this recipe could only be beneficial for you daughter. The good thing about maca is that it helps the body to restore balance to your body’s hormones (an “adaptogen”) rather than create/replace one specific hormone. For this reason it shouldn’t make too much of one thing or make any problem worse. Hope that makes sense. But definitely read up about teens and maca online, but from my own experience taking it as an adult and from my reading, I would say it’s a good addition to most diets.

Hope that helps! Puberty is so tricky isn’t it? And it’s so lovely you are looking for ways to help your daughter through it.
      Xx

• Reply Natalie December 21, 2015 at 2:08 am

These photos!!!!!!! Can’t. Stop. Staring. Just gorgeous and delicious, that blue cup is stunning really showcases the swirling chocolate goodness <3

• Reply Liberty December 21, 2015 at 9:52 am

Oh thanks so much Natalie! Xx

• Reply Paula January 6, 2016 at 10:20 am

Thank you for this delicious and velvety vegan drink. I added a touch of cinnamon and cayenne…I hope this doesn’t alter the health benefits? ;)

• Reply Liberty January 6, 2016 at 10:22 am

Thanks so much! It can only improve the health benefits I think! Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for your comment :)

• Reply Happy Hormones Hot Chocolate | De Groene Meisjes January 11, 2016 at 11:41 pm

[…] onze aandacht door de grappige naam . Die naam nemen we hier maar even over, met alle credits voor Homespun Capers, de bedenker van dit recept. Toen we zagen wat de ingrediënten van deze warme chocolademelk waren, […]

• Reply Kate March 12, 2016 at 4:44 am

This was incredible! Thanks for the recipe, it made an amazing start to the day!

• Reply Liberty March 12, 2016 at 7:36 pm

Thanks so much, Kate! So glad you enjoyed it! X

• Reply Ayla October 11, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Thanks for this recipe! I’ve been making warm almond-chocolate milk for some time now, and this is a great addition. How do you stir in the maca? When I do it, it stays cluttered together, and I often find little clumps of maca in my last few sips..

• Reply Liberty October 12, 2016 at 5:59 am

Hi Ayla! Thanks so much for your comment :) I use a metal whisk to combine it all whilst it’s on the stove… I do find hot chocolate does get a bit of sediment if it takes a while to drink, but stirring with a spoon occasionally can lessen this. Maca also has a tendency to clump in storage from humidity etc, so make sure any lumps are crushed to a powder to begin with. Hope that helps! Enjoy your hot chocolate! :)

• Reply Laurel November 3, 2016 at 12:51 pm

This recipe looks amazing! I am in a serious maca phase right now, and I CANT WAIT to give it a try!

• Reply Liberty November 3, 2016 at 12:58 pm

Thanks Laurel! Hope you enjoy it, it’s one of my favourite cool weather drinks x